Video Editing Workflow
How to create a wildlife video from raw clips taken during a field trip: Software, settings, workflow.
Using Photo Mechanic because of the speed media files are transferred from the memory card to the hard drive while being renamed consistently and because Photo Mechanic provides an optimized UI for efficient review of photo and video quality.
- After import, review all clips, delete low quality clips
- Copy remaining clips into raw video media folder, separate from photos, and split them into sub-folder by topic
- Delete the clips in the Photo Mechanic import folder (not keeping duplicates)
Master Settings DaVinci Resolve
- Playback 30fps (or 24fps)
- Video Format HD 1080p 30fps (or 24fps)
- Frame interpolation Nearest, Standard Faster, Medium
- Fairlight Target loudness level -14 LUFS
During the process of editing a video the version in work is rendered several times and reviewed on different devices (mobile, tablet, desktop, TV).
- In DaVinci Resolve new project import all clips as media
- Drop all of them on the timeline in chronological order.
- Cut and trim raw clips to the segment that may be used.
- Apply color to different groups of clips of each chapter in the story.
- Re-order the groups of clips to align with the story.
- Normalize audio levels of each clip to -2 dBFS.
- Stabilize, rotate, and zoom each clip to get best out of it. Trim further if necessary. [Render v0.1 - Stabilization]
- Check if horizons should be aligned between two clips.
- Review transitions and apply effects if necessary.
- Modify speed of clips where appropriate [Render v0.2 - Speed]
- Adjust color, brightness, contrast of each clip. Start with white balance. [Render v0.3 - Colors]
- Add text and branding. Check spelling! [Render v0.4 - Text]
- Add music track and adjust sound [Render v0.5 - Sound]
Uploading a video, publishing it, and then noticing a minor error? A final review on a uploaded video should prevent this from happening.
- No spelling errors?
- Color grading consistent?
- All clips stabilized?
- Sound within -2dB to -5dB at -14 LUFS?
Settings DaVinci Resolve Final Render
Change Master Settings Frame Interpolation to Optical Flow, Enhanced Better. Only affects if frame interpolation is required (change of speed, fps recording doesn't match fps final video)
In Render settings: - Format MP4 - Resolution 1920x1080 - Playback 30 fps (or 24fps) - Quality Restrict to 40000 Kb/s - Uncheck Bypass re-encode ...
Montreal, April 21, 2022